Dennis Hulsing

Dennis O Hulsing

1924 - 2006

Recommend Dennis's obituary to your friends
Share Your Memory of

Obituary of Dennis O Hulsing

Dennis Hulsing died Feb. 17, 2006 at the age of 81. Born Oct. 31, 1924 to Ruby and Owen Hulsing, an only child. He is survived by his wife Barbara, whom he married in 1948; two sons David and Daniel and their wives Terry Leigh and Marsha; six grandchildren, Clint, Jordan, Michelle, Jessica, Brittani, and Kelci; three great grandchildren, Kayla, Hunter, and Peyton; and cousin Joan. What did he do for Leisure? He loved fishing in the Sound and stream fishing for trout and steelhead. He enjoyed going to Mt. Hood, BakerCity Oregon, Stampede Pass, and the Morton area especially to do this. He also enjoyed hiking, traveling, and boating with his family. While growing up in Miles City Montana ,the place of his birth, he enjoyed walking with his dog in the nearby hills, finding arrow heads, crawling through old mines, and visiting the Indians outside of town settled along the Yellowstone River. One old guy there made him a bow and some arrows. Dad's father knew one of the Chiefs that attacked George Custer, his name was Chief Two Moons. His father also met a relative of Jesse James the outlaw. A grandson of Samuel Morse gave our dad a fancy firearm that the inventor owned, but since was stolen. He knew where Calamity Jane once lived. Dad talks of seeing old houses with secret staircases where people could flee if under Indian attack. There was even a local Fort. He saw Sousa the famous bandleader march down mainstreet. He told of Circuses that he spent all day at, Gypsy caravans that would come through town. It was a fun an interesting area for a little kid to grow up in. As a teenager he moved his parents house on rollers ,added a foundation and remodeled it. Quick to figure things out, a problem solver, and by watching others he soon learned many things, like how to build a home from laying block, or setting forms and pouring concrete, to carpentry, wiring, plumbing, building fireplaces, heating systems. He loved building. In 1942 he moved to Tacoma, and in the late 1950's started his own business. He developed many friendships in the community. He had a great sense of humor, telling jokes and stories. We remember one building inspector at a job site, who sent in his large dog to snoop around as he and my dad talked and laughed. When the dog returned, he asked him "Everything look good to you?" Apparently the dog thought it was ok, as the inspector approved it. My fathers family became Jehovah's Witnesses or Bible Students {as they were called then} about 1916. Grandfather was a presiding minister in Miles City. After High School, my father spent at least 150 hours a month in the ministry work supporting himself by part-time work and help from his parents. Through the years this activity remained an integral part of his life. He also served in various capacities including Presiding Overseer at some congregations, found locations around the state to hold religious conventions, built many places of worship, supervised the construction of a large convention center near Puyallup, was an Assembly Overseer for thirty years, City Overseer, and enjoyed other privileges, always busy and happy working with others. For about the last 3 years he had to go on dialysis every other day. Friends from around the area came to visit him and he enjoyed it. Some came every week which he truly appreciated. Almost every day of his life he suffered from bad headaches and took aspirin which damaged his kidneys. Last year he went to Emergency twice, basically living at St. Joseph Hospital in Tacoma all this year. Progressively weakened after fighting a succession of lung infections, we reluctantly had him taken to a Hospice as death was near. He was there a day and a half. Hours before passing some people in the room noticed him suddenly raise his arm and point to the ceiling. They wondered what he was doing until my brother figured it out. He was pointing out a bad sheetrock-texture job on the ceiling! His sense of humor at work again figuring stuff out to the end. Jesus promised an end to sickness and death.(Revelation 21:3,4) We look forward to seeing him again healthy. Speaking for my mother and family, we would like to thank Dr. Martin, St. Joseph's Hospital in Tacoma, their dialysis center in Puyallup and the Hospice in University Place. To the many nurses and doctors who worked hard to keep him alive as long as possible, we are sincerely grateful for your love and kindness. The Hulsing Family Memorial service to be held 2:00 PM Saturday, February 25, 2006 at Kingdom Hall of Jehovah’s Witnesses, 11317 - 78th Ave. E., Puyallup, WA 98373. Arrangements by Edwards Memorial Center 253-566-1008
To send flowers to the family or plant a tree in memory of Dennis Hulsing, please visit Tribute Store