Robert Geurts
Robert Geurts

Obituary of Robert Francis Geurts

Robert Francis Geurts III was born on March 22, 1964 in San Francisco, California. He was the second son born into the family of Robert Francis Geurts, Jr. and Joan Marie Denoyer Geurts. His older brother “Joe” (Peter Joseph Balistreri 7/1/1960)was born in 1960; his sister Tammy (LeAnne Geurts) (3/19/1967) was born in 1967; and his youngest brother “Drew” (Andrew Stephen Geurts 5/26/1968) was born in 1968. Because his grandfather was known as Big Bob and his dad was called Bobbie, not wanting to call him “Little Bobbie”, he was called Robbie. Sometimes he was called “Yabba Dabba Doo,” his first words after watching Fred Flintstone. The family lived in Stockton, California where his dad worked as a pipe fitter. His mother worked for AT&T. The children attended school and were active in sports and many activities. Joe played football in Pop Warner leagues and in HS. Robbie and Andrew played Little League baseball and football. Their dad was their coach for several years. The boys were very athletic and were featured in stories in the local newspapers. In HS he was involved in speed roller skating and represented California in national competition and received the bronze medal. His HS sweetheart, Gina Anderson, and Robbie have a daughter Krystal Marie Geurts who was born in Stockton (9/15/1982) in 1982. His daughter was the “light of his life” and he left school and went to work in construction to provide for her. In 1983, Robbie’s dad came to work at Tacoma Boat Shipyards and the family moved to Federal Way near Decatur HS. Robbie’s sister and brother were honor students and Andrew was selected for the all-city HS baseball team. Robbie was 20 years old when he was in a tragic motorcycle accident in 1984 that nearly took his life. He suffered serious head injuries that would disable him for the rest of his life. His personal faith and trust in God helped him through his injuries and recovery. His parents and siblings were there to assist him in the adjustments and getting him his own home. Later he lived in Steilacoom for several years. Even when he was young, he had the “heart of a lion.” He accomplished so much and he did it with a vengeance. When he was playing football, he was an outstanding player but he was small for his age and to play at the next level, he needed to be a bit heavier. His mom and dad stuffed him with bananas and milkshakes before the weigh in times. Everybody loved his personality. He was never mean or vicious. He was positive. He talked about the Lord and he blessed others and used the sign of the cross. He was focused on his faith to guide him in his life. After his accident, he had difficulty choosing the words and completing his thoughts and sentences. But his mom had an uncanny ability to know what he was thinking and trying to say. He lived independently and enjoyed the stability of his own home. He cared about his family and his friends, often inviting them to his home. There was great enjoyment when the family gathered together on Thanksgiving and other special occasions. In 1996, his mom and dad moved to Arizona where his mother was transferred with AT&T. His dad retired after heart surgery and they now live in Nevada. During the past number of years, he often called to talk with his daughter Krystal and sent birthday gifts. Last November, Krystal and her mother Gina Anderson came to visit Robbie. There were many hours of conversation and sharing of their experiences. Krystal is attending college and for the fourth year is a cheerleader for the Sacramento Kings NBA team. Robbie and Gina have maintained their friendship over the years. They are proud of Krystal. Robbie had some difficult times and lived in several shelters in the Tacoma area, During the past 2 years, Robbie has lived in an apartment in Tacoma with several friends. A few days ago, he was having some difficulties dealing with his health and was a patient at the Pierce County Behavioral Health Center on Pacific Avenue in Tacoma. He was having medical problems and seizures caused by the damage from the accident some 20 years earlier. After a short stay at St. Joseph Hospital, he died suddenly in the evening hours of Saturday, May 27, 2006. Robbie was a special person who was loved and respected for his determination and his gentle spirit. His family and friends cared for him in many difficult times. There were times when he enjoyed the Thanksgiving gatherings through the years. Although he was limited in his abilities, he showed his respect and appreciation to his family and friends. Robbie will be loved and remembered by his parents, Bob and Joan his daughter Krystal and her mother Gina, his sister Tammy (Tom Aker) and his brothers: Joe (Tawny) and Andrew, and their families, his nieces and nephews: Tawny (Balistreri; 23, 4/15/1983), Shane (Aker; 15, 9/14/1990), Sabrina (Aker; 14, 9/23/1991), Stephanie (Balistreri; 13, 11/9/1993), family relatives, friends and neighbors. Arrangements by Edwards Memomorial Center 253-566-1008
To send flowers to the family or plant a tree in memory of Robert Geurts, please visit Tribute Store
A Memorial Tree was planted for Robert
We are deeply sorry for your loss ~ the staff at Edwards Memorial | University Place
Share Your Memory of