Clifford Caddes
Clifford Caddes

Obituary of Clifford Dale Caddes

“Skip” Caddes was born on April 10, 1946 in Cambridge, Ohio, and given the name Clifford Dale Caddes. He was the only son born to Max Cross Caddes (10/14/1917 – 7/16/2000) and Sylvia Schiesser Caddes (12/30/1919). His father was in the US Army Air Corps and was stationed in Seattle, Washington during WW II. There he met Sylvia Schiesser who worked in the Army Air Corps personnel office. They were married on January 27, 1945 at her brother’s house in Seattle. Max and Sylvia returned to Max’s home where their son “Skip” was born. Soon after, they returned to Seattle and Max went to work for ONC trucking company. Sylvia worked for several years as secretary for the Air Corps officers. She also worked many years for the state Liquor Control Board. The family moved to their home in Rainier Valley where “Skip” attended school. He played on a little league baseball team. “Skip” and his friends hung out a lot at his house. He and many of his friends were in scouting and his dad was the scoutmaster. Max and Sylvia welcomed Skip’s friends to their home and they enjoyed having the friends around a lot. The boys learned to play Poker. There were many times when Skip’s uncles, aunts, and cousins were at Skip’s house for visits and celebrations. He attended Rainier Beach HS and graduated in 1964. He enjoyed playing golf and other sports. He was the competitor and organizer of Saturday football and baseball games. During HS he worked for a veterinarian clinic and at the hospital. Skip attended WWU in Bellingham until he was exposed to mumps and he returned home. He married his HS sweetheart Ellen Marie Kriger (12/16/1946) on July 7, 1967. Their first daughter Shannon Marie Caddes was born in Newport Beach, California on August 15, 1966. They returned to Redmond where Skip worked as a business manager for Evergreen Hospital. Their second daughter Stacey Janell Caddes was born in Seattle on February 5, 1970. “Skip” worked at Tacoma General Hospital as business manager. When they separated in 1975, the girls lived with their mother in Kent. Shannon played softball, basketball, gymnastics, swimming, and volleyball. She graduated from Kent-Meridian HS in 1984. Stacey graduated from Kent Continuation HS in 1988. She also loves to play softball. They both ended up like their father being sports junkies. Skip and his dad played golf regularly with his uncle and cousin. There were stories of his playing jokes on the others during their competitions with weighted and exploding golf balls. When Skip and his friends had a golf tourney, they called themselves the South End Gangsters. Skip moved to Lake Tahoe to be with some of his good friends. He did some taxi driving there. He shared many interesting stories about some of his customers. He also worked at several casinos doing a variety of jobs. His mother often drove his daughters to Tahoe for summertime visits. They often talked on the phone so he could hear what his daughters were doing. Skip moved back to Seattle and lived in the Wallingford area. He raised Australian shepherd dogs. His dog “Blue” had puppies and he kept one named “Bonnie” who had 5 puppies that he kept. “Bonnie” and “Skip” competed in Frisbee competition and she won the Northwest Championship trophy. Skip and Dr. Evelyn Robinson, a veterinarian, enjoyed several years together. The dogs were a big part of his life. His last dog was Pepper, who he loved very much. On September 30, 1995, Skip celebrated the double wedding of his daughters. He escorted Shannon down the aisle and Stacey was escorted by Jack Sorenson, their step-father who is married to their mother. Stacey married Mike Kallen and Shannon married Gary Bartroff (4/7/1967). “Skip” was always invited to special times with his daughters. Ellen and Jack always included him in the family Thanksgiving and Christmas gatherings, and for the girls’ birthday celebrations. “Skip” kept close to his mother and father. His dad had heart surgery and developed cancer. He died on July 16, 2000. His mother lives in Bow Lake near SeaTac. Shannon and Gary have 2 sons. Kale Brandon was born on February 5, 1999. They then adopted Stephen Chase Bartroff on 9-9-99 ( Stephen became the big brother because he was 2 years old when he was welcomed into the family. “Skip” enjoyed the grandsons. He rode the “quads” with them and took them fishing at Bob and Barb Davis' lake and other places. He’d sit with them and compete in the PlayStation games. Kale and Stephen have very fun and fond memories of their grandfather. They really liked it when he came to their Little League games. They are both great athletes (it seems to run in the family). They already miss him deeply. Shannon and Gary own a carpet cleaning and water damage company. Stacey lives in West Seattle with her companion Rich Rye. She works as the special education worker with 4th, 5th, and 6th grade children at White Center Elementary School. Five years ago, “Skip” moved to Hoodsport near Hood Canal and Lake Cushman. He enjoyed living there and keeping in touch with his life-long friends. Every other Tuesday evening, “Skip” and his close friends played cards. One night there were quite a few guys around the table. They all had been on the little league team in the Rainier Valley except for one (Steve P.) . That is quite amazing and great that they all remained friends for so long. They often went fishing together, attended sporting events, football games, horse racing, and enjoyed spending time together. Just before last Thanksgiving, Skip had lost around 45 pounds and was not feeling well. The family really appreciated all the help Steve Pricer did by taking Skip to all his doctor's appointments and taking care of him along with many of his other friends. Steve Pricer and Bob Davis talked Skip into going to the Capitol Medical Center Hospital in Olympia on December 23rd where he was diagnosed with lung cancer. His friends, Shannon and Stacey, and his mother Sylvia were there with him at the hospital. A few days later, on December 28th, he was moved to the Life Care Center in Federal Way. His daughters and mother, and his many, many friends were there with him everyday as his health declined rapidly. His daughters were with him on Sunday evening, January 7th, when his life came to a close and he died peacefully with his daughters holding his hands. Skip was a loving and gentle man with a soft and tender heart for his family, friends, and his animals. He loved and cherished his mother. He was a good and nourishing friend to the men he had known from childhood and his days of youth. He loved animals, and respected life and the world around him. He shared those qualities with his daughters and friends. All who knew him respected his personal qualities and characteristics. His love for animals is shared by his daughters, their families, and his grandsons. He will be loved and remembered by Sylvia Caddes his mother; by his daughters and their families: Shannon and her husband Gary and their sons: Stephen and Kale Stacey and her boyfriend Rich Rye, by his uncles and aunts, cousins, and relatives and by his many friends and companions. Some of his wonderful friends included: Roy and Anisha Gilbert, Bob and Barb Davis, Bill McMillan, Steve Pricer, Steve Dobbs, Charlie Dunn, Chuck Allen, Mick, Rick Davis, Dugan and his wife, Fred P, and many more. He was preceded in death by his father Max Caddes and his beloved dogs: Sled, Shammy, Blue, Bonnie, Reggie, and Joey. I will be making a slide show of pictures of Skip, friends, and families. If you would like me to email it to you when its is finished please email Shannon at We will all miss him he was a WONDERFUL MAN! He will forever be in our hearts and memories. Arrangements by Edwards Memorial Center 253-566-1008
To send flowers to the family or plant a tree in memory of Clifford Caddes, please visit Tribute Store
A Memorial Tree was planted for Clifford
We are deeply sorry for your loss ~ the staff at Edwards Memorial | University Place
Share Your Memory of